Maintaining your trust and confidence is among our highest priorities. We recognize that protecting the privacy and security of our customers is an important responsibility. That’s why we at Mariner Wealth Advisors and Mariner Platform Solutions, want you to understand how we protect your privacy when we collect and use information about you, and the steps that we take to safeguard that information.
Information Provided – In the normal course of business, we typically obtain nonpublic personal information about our prospective and current clients, which may include but is not limited to:
- Personal identity such as name, address and social security number;
- Information regarding securities transactions effected by us or others;
- Information reported on applications or other forms provided by the client, including but not limited to net worth, assets, income, accounts and balances;
- Information developed as part of financial plans, analysis and other advisory services.
How We Manage and Protect Your Personal Information – In order to protect current, prospective and former clients’ nonpublic, personal information, we maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. MWA and MPS also limits access to personal information to individuals who need to know that information in order to service your account.
- We do not share any of the above referenced non-public personal information about current, prospective and/or former clients to third parties, other than to our affiliates, nor is it our practice to disclose such information to third parties unless necessary to administer, manage, service, and provide related services for client accounts or as permitted to do so by law.
- In the event we deem it necessary to share information with outside companies that perform administrative services for MWA or MPS, our contractual arrangements with these service providers require them to treat current, prospective and/or former client information as confidential.
- Except as otherwise stated above, we will only release non-public personal information if a client or client representative directs us to do so, or if we are compelled by law to disclose personal information, such as government entities, credit bureaus or in response to subpoenas.
To the extent our employees are providing tax services as certified public accountants, we are governed by professional standards set forth by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Ethical Standards and governing state accountancy laws.
Information that we receive from you for the specific purposes of receiving tax services provided by MWA or MPS shall be retained and eventually disposed of in accordance with applicable federal and state laws that govern general public accountants.
A. Types of Personal Information Subject to California Privacy Law
In accordance with California law, we collected the following categories of Personal Information within the preceding 12 months:
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law. Mariner Wealth Advisors does not require you provide protected classification characteristics. However, please carefully consider the information contained within new account applications and advisory agreements to ensure that you are not providing any protected classification characteristics that are not necessary for your engagement with us as your advisor. Dependent upon the scope of services, a financial custodian may require certain information from you in order to perform the services (the most common being birth date). Mariner may collect this information on behalf of the custodian. Protected classification characteristics include your age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, genetic information (including familial genetic information), and veteran or military status. Mariner Wealth Advisors and the third-party custodian may use this information to perform wealth management and financial advisory services tailored to meet your specific financial and life goals.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, including cookie data and other information on your usage of our website. We use this information to provide targeted advertising based upon your interest in Mariner Wealth Advisors.
- Professional or employment-related information including any information provided in a resume/CV or job seeker profile. We use this information for the limited purpose of employment screening and hiring practices.
We do not sell data. We may share each of these categories of Personal Information with our service providers to the extent necessary to perform administrative services for Mariner Wealth Advisors, if a client or client representative directs us to do so, or if we are compelled by law to disclose personal information, such as to government entities, credit bureaus or in response to subpoenas.
B. Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of State of California, you have the following rights:
Right to Access:
You can request a disclosure and copy of specific Personal Information Mariner Wealth Advisors may have collected about you in the 12 months before your request. Upon verification of your request, we will disclose to you if applicable:
a. The categories of PII we have collected;
b. The categories of sources of PII;
c. Mariner Wealth Advisors’ use of the PII; and
d. If the information was disclosed to third parties, the categories of information disclosed and the categories of third parties to whom such information was disclosed.
Right to Not Be Discriminated Against:
You have the right not to be discriminated against on account of exercising the rights granted to you under the CCPA. Mariner does not provide financial incentives for sharing data.
Right to Delete:
You may have the right to request us to delete Personal Information that we collected from you. However, we may not be able to delete your personal information if such information pertains to your employment or is required to be retained by law. Please send all requests via email or mail to the address listed below. Upon receipt of your deletion request, Mariner Wealth Advisors will review and confirm if it is a verifiable request, and if so, Mariner Wealth Advisors will delete (and direct our third-party suppliers to delete) your data. Mariner Wealth Advisors may deny a deletion request, in whole or in part, if retaining the information or a portion of the information is required for Mariner Wealth Advisors or our third party suppliers and contractors under an exemption called out in the CCPA, including (if applicable):
a. Information collected pursuant to the California Financial Information Policy as well as the Graham Leach Bliley Act.
b. Information required to meet ongoing commercial obligation on your behalf;
c. To comply with applicable laws, subpoenas, legal proceeding, or audit; or
d. In order to improve our internal business practices, such as updating our website, improving cybersecurity, and any other solely internal business purpose reasonably anticipated within the context of our business relationship.
Only you, or someone appointed by you and registered with the California Secretary of State, may request deletion of your data. The deletion request must provide sufficient detail to enable Mariner Wealth Advisors to identify you, such as providing your identifiable information to cross-reference with any submitted data, and describe your deletion request with sufficient detail that allows us to understand that you desire to exercise your rights under the CCPA. We do not require you to create an account and will only use any data submitted to us for a deletion request for that specific request. You may only submit two requests every twelve months, or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
Mariner Wealth Advisors will endeavor to respond to any verified consumer request within 45 days. If Mariner Wealth Advisors is unable to respond, Mariner Wealth Advisors will provide written notice to extend the response time by up to 90 additional days where necessary, taking into account the complexity and number of the requests. Mariner Wealth Advisors shall inform the consumer of any such extension within 45 days of receipt of the request, together with the reasons for the delay. If Mariner Wealth Advisors is unable to complete your request, Mariner Wealth Advisors will inform you, without delay and at the latest within the time period allotted above, of the reasons for not taking action and any rights You have to appeal the decision to Mariner Wealth Advisors.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits you to opt-out of the disclosure of your personal information by Mariner Wealth Advisors to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes unless you affirmatively agree to it. If this policy were to change, you can opt-out of such disclosures by contacting the Firm using the contact information below, or using the following OPT-OUT LINK.
Mariner Wealth Advisors
ATTN: Compliance and Legal
5700 W. 112th Street, Suite 500
Overland Park, Kansas 66211